How to Hire a Great Counselor
In general, people use the services of a counselor as they do when they need another health specialist. They ask their friends, colleagues and relatives whether they know a good professional who helped them regain their health. It is advisable to do the same if you have depression, anxiety, panic attacks or you just want to better understand our emotions, behavior and invest in your personal development.
One of the simplest methods is to ask recommendations from your physician. When you do that, you don’t need to go into much detail about why you need a counselor. All you have to do is saying something like “I am going through some difficulties and I am thinking of seeing a counselor, but I would need some recommendations.”
Other tips to consider
- Consult with very close persons that you can trust. Maybe they have been through similar situations, in which case they can be a source of valuable information about the counselor they have worked with/
- Schools and universities are also a resource. There surely is a psychologist in your child’s school who could recommend someone to you. In universities too, you can find qualified professionals who, in their turn, know many other professionals and are willing to make recommendations.
- Use a network search. When you have a name, it is a good idea to search it online. If the counselor has a blog or website, explore it. Often, you can make an impression about a professional based on what they write or what is written about them. However, keep in mind that many very good and well-qualified counselors may not have a website, but merely some contact details. If you can’t find any other information about them, call them.
- Do not despair if you cannot find a good counselor close by. Today, people are allowed to seek psychological counseling online All you need is a messenger application to access professional help from counselors open to provide online consultancy.
- If you own a business in Massachusetts and are trying to recruit mental health professionals, consider establishing an online presence and post ‘lmhc jobs Massachusetts’ for those persons that may be looking for placement.
In the process of searching and evaluating, make sure you always have at least 2-3 names on your initial list, so you can compare what you can find about different professionals. You should always have the option to delete a person from your list if you are not satisfied and call another, because you have the right and the responsibility towards yourself to be pretentious.
The first contact with the counselor is typically on the phone, but nowadays more and more people also use the email. This initial conversation should not be too long. Introduce yourself and ask if you can make an appointment, as a new patient. You do not want to talk too much and explain the situation you are facing, just to find out that the counselor does not accept new patients for the time being.
If the specialist can receive you, explain your problem in a few words and ask if they are qualified and familiar enough with it to provide you adequate help.
You should also ask about money related aspects. Don’t be afraid to be clear about your financial status, as many counselors are open to offer different payment options. If you get a satisfactory answer, move to the next question: “Is there anything else I need to know before we meet?”. Exchange essential contact information and get information on the procedure in case of cancellation of the meeting.